Jul 29, 2009

Hooks, patterns and monkeys!

The most frequently question I've been asked is "how small is your hook ?" and when I say 0.5mm the answer is "ohhh". But if you see a picture of a 0.5mm the answer is "ohhhhhhhhhh"!!
It's like a little pin (and it hurts too like a pin!). Now, as I want to hear your "ohhhhhhhhhh", here is a picture of the hook and the thread I use when I make my minis:

I wrote a new pattern of a full jointed (5 ways) sock monkey, with movable limbs and head (it is on sale in my Etsy shop). Here is a picture of the little guy:

The sock monkey is made with Finca cotton thread but I always say that if you use a smaller hook and thread you'll make a smaller guy, so here are the pieces of the same sock monkey made with the same pattern but with a 0.5mm hook and sewing thread:

It's very small, isn't it?

And finally here it is! Same pattern, smaller sock monkey!

The minis in the MUFFA world are happy to meet the new guy ... meoooow!

12 comments:

  1. How fun is that! Thanks for showing your work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhhh! ;o)
    I love your work, it's beyond my comprehension!

    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much to you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute monkey, my hook is a 1.65 mm, I sometimes use as small as 1.3mm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mariella. I just discovered your work through Flickr and I absolutely LOVE it. I was speachless when I saw how small your amigurumi are. Great work. I can't wait to see more.
    Ciao,
    Miss-Ninie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mariella
    How cute is that little fellow:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!
    I have to try, but I'm sure I can go smaller ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Thats what we say here!!! I have my hubby ans son amazed too at this wonderful creating you do!!!Wow
    Just adorable!!!
    Blessings and Hugs Dena

    ReplyDelete
  9. The monkey is sooooo tiny and super cute! Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
    ecco, il mio l'ho detto!! ah ah!! anche io uso il o,6 mm per i miei lavoretti... e mi sono punta un sacco di volte!!
    ma gli animaletti non ho mai provato a farli, dove trovi i modelli?
    ciao sono Caterina e il mio blog è:
    leminisdicockerina.blogspot.com

    buon anno!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What kind of thread do you use? could you do a squirrel? My boyfriend loves them and i'd like to surprise him with a couple for his bonsai.^^
    Danke!!!
    -Mesha

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is the smallest sock monkey I have ever seen. It is so tiny and cute. I luv it.

    ReplyDelete